The Connection in Summit, NJ, known for its excellent aquatic programs, is offering a free Lifeguard Training Program to qualified applicants (a $315 savings). In exchange we ask that you commit to one year of employment as a lifeguard for The Connection.
We have a variety of positions available including days (early morning, midday, afternoon) evenings and weekends.
We offer a starting wage of $9.00 per hour as well as membership discounts for staff and their family.
Prerequisites for training program:
- Participants must be age 15 by completion of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl and breaststroke demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke with face out of the water, surface dive 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim (using only legs) 20 yards back to the starting point while holding the object with both hands and exiting the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only.
- Completion of a criminal background check (for applicants 18 years or older).
Completion Requirements of training program:
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Successfully complete a Submerged Passive Victim in Deep Water Rescue in 1:30 and a Multi Rescuer Response Scenario
- Score an 80 percent or higher on the final written exams.
Upon completion you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguard Training/First Aid) and an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED, both valid for two years.
The Connection is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe our differences make us better.
Email Nancy.MacNiven@TheConnectionOnline.org for more information.